Abba, Abba, Abba

Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. (John 13:23)

Maybe it was because I never really had a father figure in my life....but I've always had a strong image of God as my Father. Daddy. Abba. At almost 40 years old, I love Him with that same gushiness and admiration that a 3 or 4 year old views their earthly daddy with.

There is a story about a dying old man. His pastor comes to visit and sees and empty chair by the bed. "You must have been expecting me," he said as he looked at the empty chair. "No", the old man replied, "Who are you?" "I am the new Pastor from your church. I saw the empty chair and..." "Oh. Close the door please, and I'll tell you about the chair." The Pastor looked puzzled and shut the door.

"I've never known how to pray. I've tried to read the best theological books on prayer but didn't understand them. I gave up until a week ago my friend Joe told me prayer was just talking to Jesus. He said to pull up a chair and talk to Jesus like He was right there - because Jesus promised He would always be with us. Well, I did, and I've enjoyed it so much that I talk to him several hours every day.

My daughter takes care of me and she would think I had gone crazy if she saw me talking to this chair."

The Pastor encouraged the man, and prayed with him and left. A few days later he got a call from the mans daughter telling him that the old man had passed away. "Did he seem at peace?" the Pastor asked.

"Yes," she replied. He joked with me and kissed me on the cheek before I went to the grocery. When I came home he had passed away. ...but... it's the strangest thing Pastor....," her voice trailed. "...Apparently just before Daddy died, he rested his head on the chair beside the bed."

I too rest my head on the chest of the Great Rabbi. I listen to my Saviors heartbeat. My Abba is God. I not only trust Him with my soul, but my entire life here on earth and everything I have and everything I am. He is faithful.

Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Halleljuah! I will love you O Lord my strength! (Psalm 18:1)

No comments: