Exhorting instead of Consoling

Deuteronomy 3:28a says, "But charge Joshua, and encourage him, and strengthen him:"

When we encourage each other in the LORD, it does strengthen us.

So often we as Christians, take the human response of sympathizing with someone that is hurting - like Job's friends unsuccessfully tried to do - rather than building them up in the LORD.

This morning I had a call from a family member who asked how I was feeling as I was healing from an injury. I replied that my arms were hurting. By her voice, I knew that she hurt for me, but rather than throw me a pity party, she said:

"I just praise God that you have two arms to be hurting!"

Do you know that this exhorted me and encouraged me in the Lord because it reminded me of the blessings He has given me. It made me so thankful to Him.

Psalms 100:4 says, Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

and

Colossians 3:15 states, And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

It is much easier to have the peace of God when we are obedient and we are praising Him. And, humanly speaking praise comes much more readily when we have thankful hearts. We should build each other up and encourage each other in the Lord Jesus Christ. Next time you have the opportunity to console a brother or sister, as you love on them, try exhorting them in the Lord and praising with them through their circumstance.

Scripture always guides us in what is best for us as well as how to do what is right. David knew this when he said, "Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." (Psa 25:5)

God is always faithful to lead us. Hallelujah!!

1 comment:

JTR said...

Very good point! It reminds me of a Proverb:

Proverbs 27:6 Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.