Tied Down

Won't You Have Some?



Selfish reasons women don't want children


“I like my house in order. I don’t like a lot of noise or chaos in my home. I like my stuff in order. I don’t want kids the same way some people say they don’t want a cat or dog. I don’t want the responsibility and I don’t want to give up my financial independence. I don’t want to be a parent the same way I didn’t want to be a doctor – it just didn’t interest me enough.”

"I have worked too d*** hard on my abs to ruin them with saggy skin and stretch marks."

"The ultimate reason I have so vigorously avoided impregnation is money."

"I’m just selfish, I want to keep my money and time to myself."

(Quotes found throughout the web)


This is what feminism has caused. Feminism has also infiltrated the church.


What does the Bible Say?

The first commandment in the Bible is "Be fruitful, and multiply" Genesis 1:28 and marriage was instituted by God as a stable environment in which to have and rear children. In our society, children are often considered a nuisance and a burden. They can be seen as standing in the way of people's career paths, financial goals, or social freedom.



  • Children are a gift from God

    • And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD. Genesis 4:1

    • And he lifted up his eyes, and saw the women and the children; and said, Who are those with thee? And he said, The children which God hath graciously given thy servant. Genesis 33:5



  • Children are a heritage from the Lord

    • Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate. Psalm 127:3-5



  • Children are a blessing from God

    • And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Luke 1:42



  • Children are a crown to the aged

    • Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers. Proverbs 17:6



  • God blesses barren women with children

    • He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD. Psalm 113:9

    • And the LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken. For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him. And Abraham called the name of his son that was born unto him, whom Sarah bare to him, Isaac. Genesis 21:1-3

    • And they had no child, because that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in years. Luke 1:7; And after those days his wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying, Thus hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men. Luke 1:24-25



  • God forms children in the womb

    • For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. Psalm 139:13-16



  • God knows children before their birth

    • Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. Jeremiah 1:5

    • But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, Galatians 1:15




It is important that we view children in the way God does, not as society does.



Here is a lovely and oh so true poem.


Tied Down


“They tie you down,” a woman said,

Whose cheeks should have been flaming red

With shame to speak of children so.

“When babies come you cannot go

In search of pleasure with your friends,

And all your happy wandering ends.

The things you like you cannot do,

For babies make a slave of you.”




I looked at her and said, “’Tis true

That children make a slave of you,’

And tie you down with many a knot,

But have you never thought to what

It is of happiness and pride

That little babies have you tied?

Do you not miss the greater joys

That come with little girls and boys?




They tie you down to laughter rare,

To hours of smiles and hours of care,

To nights of watching and to fears;

Sometimes they tie you down to tears

And then repay you with a smile,

And make your trouble all worth while.

They tie you fast to chubby feet

And cheeks of pink and kisses sweet.




They fasten you with cords of love

To God divine, who reigns above.

They tie you, whereso’er you roam,

Unto the little place called home;

And over sea or railroad track

They tug at you to bring you back.

The happiest people in the town

Are those the babies have tied down.




Oh, go your selfish way and free

But hampered I would rather be,

Yes rather than a kingly crown

I would be, what you term, tied down;

Tied down to dancing eyes and charms,

Held fast by chubby, dimpled arms,

The fettered slave of girl and boy,

And win from them earth’s finest joy.




~ Edgar A. Guest






Photobucket
werethericheys.blogspot.com

Originally Posted on August 7, 2008

No comments: