Do you love the "rules" of the Lord? Do your friends?


The Precepts of the Lord

“Consider how I love thy precepts: quicken me, O LORD, according to thy lovingkindness.” -- Psalms 119:159

What are God’s precepts? 24 times in the Old Testament the word “precept” is used in reference to God’s Word. The Hebrew word underlying precept means directions or orders. The dictionary definition of a precept is “a general rule intended to regulate behavior or thought.”

This describes so well the purpose of the Word of God. It contains God’s commands, His orders, for mankind. We need to have our minds stayed on Him as in Isaiah 26:3 “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.”

Obedience to God’s precepts is the standard we must use concerning who we are friends with, “I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.” (Psalms 119:63). Don’t seek advice or companionship from those who don’t love the Word of God, His precepts.

To the world, obedience and freedom are looked at as opposing forces. But with God they are merged together! “And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.” (Psalms 119:45) True freedom only comes from knowing and obeying God’s precepts, and His precepts are only found in the Bible, as Psalm 119:27 states, “Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: so shall I talk of thy wondrous works.”

· Do I diligently seek to know what God requires from me, His precepts?

· Do I joyously obey everything that God has revealed to me from His Word?

This devo was written by Peter L. Laitres and posted today at KJVDevos.

No comments: