Mark 15

Mark 15

“Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.” (v. 32)

It scares me to think how often I have made statements similar to this one. I have often thought, throughout the years, that if Jesus would just prove Himself, and show us something, I too would believe it. We look for a little hope to appease our unbelief. God forgive us; God help us. These revilers were having a good time mocking, scorning, and blaspheming Him, but His “hour had not yet come.” It was their moment, but He would have His soon.

Romans 8:24 says “For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?” In other words, sight destroys faith. If we can see it, it is not faith when we believe it, any fool can believe what he sees. I am afraid I would have been tempted to jump down from the cross—just to show these fools; I would have rubbed it in their faces, but the sacrifice would not have been made, and we all would have died in our sin if Jesus would have done that. Mankind needs to thank God that it was not me on the cross, though I was there in Him. I would have failed miserably. Thank God that Jesus stayed on the cross and paid our sin debt in spite of their mockery and pompous pride. Yes, I was as the thieves that were with Him, reviling and ridiculing, Him with my tongue and with my life. Oh thankless soul of mine, thank God that Jesus stayed there for me. We need not see His power and glory to believe Him, but take Him at His Word by faith, and He will reveal His power and glory in us. Woe to the mockers of His glory and grace, as they wagged their heads and bade Him “save thyself” and said “He saved others, Himself He cannot save” (vs. 29-31), their fate is sealed. Jesus did not prove Himself to them, they died in their sin, swallowed up in their unbelief. Jesus did not sacrifice the redemption of mankind from that time forevermore for the sake of a few; even if they would have believed if He came down from the cross (and they probably wouldn’t have because “Without faith, it is impossible to please Him”), He could not leave the goal before Him and be enticed into doing it their way. I for one, thank the Lord in a mighty way, that He stayed there for me.

No comments: