Psa. 91

Hiding Places

Did you ever wish you could just get away from everything. And perhaps live out in the woods, or in the mountains by yourself, or with only your family? I have. I have daydreamed of finding a secret place, where no one else knows about, and just dwelling there forever; I longed to get away from the news of the world, the unrest and turmoil of things around me. I have discovered that I can do that, right here from my chair; I can seek the haven of Christ. I can have a “secret place” in Him.

Years ago, as a child, I had a “secret camp”. Oh, it wasn’t really secret because others knew about it, but to me it was a haven, a place to be alone…and think. It was out in the thick of the woods, and a trail went right by it. You could sit in there among the bushes, and someone could walk right by you, and not know you were there. It was a sort of hollowed out area amidst the trees and bushes, and formed a sort of large room for us to “hide” in. Many times I had hid from friends who were seeking me, or from enemies who were seeking me, in those very same bushes, and was safe from their eye and their clutches. I loved that place, and whenever I went there, I was alone; it seemed that no one else knew about it. I found a haven in the busy world and a resting place for my weary feet there, but since that time I have found another resting place, and an even better one. That place is in Jesus.

He is my “secret camp” now, where the world can walk by, and not even know I am there. They cannot touch me, nor harm me because I am in my place of refuge. I need no vacation because I have this place to relax and to meet with my best Friend, Jesus. In Him I am free from the burdens and pressures of this life, and I am sheltered from the dangers that lurk about in this world, and seek to consume me, and destroy me. There is no greater place I long to be than in my secret place in Christ.

In that camp I had as a child, there was room for many others, and in the secret place I have now there is room for many others too. All are welcome. You see, it has not only been a secret place, but a sacred place; a place of comfort and joy; a place where one can relax and enjoy the fellowship of the Savior and rest in the assurance that He is control. Yes, everyone is welcome, and even with many finding refuge there, it remains a “secret place” because it is hid from the world and from the things of this life. It is as if many share a secret, sometimes from brothers and sisters too. This is unfortunate. It need not be secret from other believers, but they choose to allow it to be so. The call is sent to all: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Mt 11:28-30). Again, in Hebrews we see: “There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.” Yes, this “rest” is a secret place; a place of security and comfort; it is our dwelling place, if we so choose. Will you seek refuge in Jesus? Whether lost or saved, there is a secret place for you too.

No comments: