Psa. 139: 14

“I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”

The Psalmist is saying, in essence, “I am uniquely made” I am different from everyone else, and so are you; and yet, we are all alike! In the realm of human nature, we are all alike; we all are compelled to sin. In the realm of individuality, we are all different; no one can see through my eyes, they are my own; no one can have my set of fingerprints, God has given them to only me. They distinguish me from you and us from others. No one has my exact genes and DNA, they are only made for me; and none can reason the exact same way I reason, because they have not built the background of reasoning on the exact same experiences that I have. We are “fearfully and wonderfully made” indeed, and yet, we are alike in many ways. His works are indeed marvelous, and beyond marvelous, they supercede our understanding. Can anyone “borrow” my ears, and hear what I hear? Can they use my feet to take them to far off places? Of course that is ridicules, and yet, it shows the uniqueness of man, and the awesomeness of our Creator.

I often amuse myself with the thought that God only has a few things to work with, and yet manages to make everyone look different, for the most part. With the exception of identical twins, everyone looks different even though they all have basically the same features. Think of it! How amazing this is! A little hair (more on some, and less on others!), and a pair of lips; a nose, some eyes, and a forehead, and chin, and a couple of ears is about all He has to work with, and yet billions of people look different than one another; all come together in each of us, and yet we are all unique. One can hardly fathom the depths of God’s creation.
We are so different that each of us has a different relationship with the Lord. My relationship with Him is not the same as yours, nor is yours the same as mine, because I am different than you in thought, in deeds and in spirit, as you are with me. For this reason, worship is a personal thing and not public. Yes, true worship is from the heart, in which no man can see or hear. It is done “in the closet” as prayer is supposed to be, and not in public meetings; we worship the Lord in our “quiet time” and personal time with Him. Jesus Himself said “But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” (Jn. 4: 23, 24). Let us learn to worship Him “in truth” from the heart, and in private, so that our worship will be individual and unique like we are.

No comments: