Psalms 119:17-24

“Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.” (v.18)

God gives great wisdom through the study of His Word. Those who seem to get more out of the Bible are those who have whole-heartedly sought after Him. What joy it is to discover little “jewels” of scripture as we read God’s Word. Many things are revealed when we “diligently seek Him” and we seem to have better judgment in decisions we must make. Oh, the wondrous things we see from His Law, and the blessing it is in our lives. David said “With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.” (119:10).

Have you ever traveled to a distant land, or even in our own land, been in a far-away, and strange seeming place? I believe the psalmist captured that attitude in this world, and he knew he was a stranger here, and needed God’s comfort and direction in life. He said, “I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.” How often I have heard some claim that they are pilgrims and strangers in this world, but then they seek after its delicacies with a zeal that is unmatched in the Christian realm. If we think ourselves to be sojourners here, we have no desire, nor business running the world, do we? If I were to come to your home, and begin to run your business, you would resent it, but we do the same thing when we seek after this world so vehemently; we do it to Christ. Jesus put it this way, to one of His followers, “Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.” (Mt. 8:22). Yes, there is great wisdom in following our Lord, but we need to let go of this world to fully appreciate His blessings. Seek out the Lord in all thy ways, my friend, and find the wisdom and the comfort of it in Christ, and Him only. Remember 1 John 2:15-17, and especially v. 15, where we see that “the love of the Father is not in him”. We must all ask ourselves, “Do I look to the Lord for my peace? Do I seek comfort in Him, or in some organization or person? What about my economic security, who do I trust for that?” There are so many ways that we violate these verses that one cannot mention remember all—and as humans, we usually find them quite easily.

No comments: