How Did You Know What I Was Thinking?!

As I was reading this morning, I came to this portion of Scripture, which reads:

Deuteronomy 15:1-2 At the end of every seven years thou shalt make a release. (2) And this is the manner of the release: Every creditor that lendeth ought unto his neighbour shall release it; he shall not exact it of his neighbour, or of his brother; because it is called the LORD'S release.

Moses is giving some final instruction to Israel before he graduates into Glory, and speaks to them about the Sabbatic Year of Release. As you read these two verses, what is the first thought that comes to your mind? I must be honest this morning and tell you I thought about that sixth year. "What if it is the sixth year, why would you lend anything to anyone knowing that you would lose out and not recoup what you lent out?" I am sure you are more spiritual than I am, but that is what I thought about first.
Then I kept reading, and came to these verse:

Deuteronomy 15:9-10 Beware that there be not a thought in thy wicked heart, saying, The seventh year, the year of release, is at hand; and thine eye be evil against thy poor brother, and thou givest him nought; and he cry unto the LORD against thee, and it be sin unto thee. (10) Thou shalt surely give him, and thine heart shall not be grieved when thou givest unto him: because that for this thing the LORD thy God shall bless thee in all thy works, and in all that thou puttest thine hand unto.

"How did You know what I was thinking?!" It only took seven verses for the Lord to answer my question. It was a reminder to me once again this morning that I serve a sovereign God who knows the thoughts and intents of man's heart, and has the answer waiting for us in His Scriptures. Praise God for who He is, and what He has provided for us!

No comments: