Worshiping the Works of our Hands

Micah 5:13  Thy graven images also will I cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee; and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands.

This thought of idol worship has really been on my heart and mind lately. Maybe it is because I am reading through the Reese Chronological Bible in my devotion time and having been reading through the different prophets, but this seems to be a bigger issue here in our churches than we like to think it is. 

While the prophet Micah is speaking more specifically about the worship of statue-like objects, we see the parallel to modern-day idol worship.  While there are plenty of churches with their statues out front and in their auditorium, I am more worried about our other works that we worship today: our programs, personalities, and preferences. 

John Gill has a good thought on this application: "and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands" - as not to fall down to idols and worship them, so neither to trust in carnal privileges, ceremonial rites, observances of the traditions of the elders, or any works of righteousness done by them, which they had been prone unto.

I think it is a good thing for each of us to occasionally do a check of what it is we actually worship. If we are honest with God and ourselves, it may actually surprise us what we have "bowed the kneed to." I am afraid we are more worried about what a church offers for my children, what type of music they sing, and how charismatic the preacher is. It is strange to me how often people will object to change because "momma and daddy didn't do it that way," yet they don't love and serve the Lord like their momma and daddy used to.

Lets make sure that God really is at the heart of our worship, and not anything that we have created.

2 comments:

Brad said...

"I think it is a good thing for each of us to occasionally do a check of what it is we actually worship."

A very good reminder here. I know from personal experience that worship so often gets redirected inwardly rather than to above...where it always belongs.

Brad

Sheila Deeth said...

Very good reminder indeed.