Faith and Finance: His Peace

Just starting here?  The rest of the articles in this series are listed at the end.

SECTION FOUR:  HIS PEACE

Peace in a father's arms.

I find it consistent that almost everything the world stresses that we need to have peace and contentment usually is in direct opposition to what God’s Word directs.

I entitled this article “Faith and Finance - Peace With or Without Prosperity” because God’s Word promises peace to those who keep their mind upon Him; not those who keep their checking account full.  That is why I have stressed that we “Turn Our Eyes Upon Jesus” and “Seek ye first the kingdom of God.”

I would recommend surfing on the internet less, watching less TV and spending less time window shopping.  We are inundated with marketing everywhere we turn.  We just end up comparing our lives with others, even though we know God says;

2Co 10:12 -13, For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.  V13  But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you.

We look at what we don’t have rather than what God has allowed us.

1Ti 6:6-8  But godliness with contentment is great gain.  V7  For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.  V8  And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

If I have learned anything in my search with the Lord for Biblical truths in finance is that our contentment and satisfaction has very little to do with what we have.  It has to do with our level of appreciation and a grateful attitude.


Our natural flesh is NEVER SATISFIED, but when we are grateful for everything the Lord has given, we will ABIDE satisfied.  Our satisfaction comes from an understanding that God is sovereign and that His grace is sufficient.

Pro 19:23  The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.

Pro 27:20  Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

Our natural eyes ARE never satisfied, but our heart directs our eyes.  If our heart and mind are stayed on the Lord, we will have peace; no matter how big our financial decisions are or how scary things get.

Isa 26:3 - 4  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. V4  Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

Nearly every day, I pray that the Lord’s will be worked in my life and schedule.  I pray that I will abide in His Spirit and bring forth His fruit. (Gal. 4:22 – 23) Why do I do that?  BECAUSE I AM WEAK.  My mind is weak, and I am so easily deceived by my emotions.

I desire joy and peace in my home.  I desire to be gentle and good and full of love with my children and husband.  I desire longsuffering and patience in the midst of daily upsets and long term obstacles.  I desire meekness in my relationships.  I desire temperance with my tongue and habits.  BUT ABOVE ALL, I KNOW THAT THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT TAKES FAITH.

Eph 6:16  Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

You see, without faith in God’s Word, it would just be a mind game.  I would try to have mental victory, but would be a great pretender.  Without faith in God’s promises, there CAN BE NO PEACE.

How can you have peace when you have no money in the bank, no food in the refrigerator, and your paycheck doesn’t come for five more days?  RESTING IN GOD’S WORD ALONE 

1.GOD IS NOT A LIAR.


Tit 1:2  In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

2.  GOD PROMISES DAILY PROVISION FOR THOSE WHO ARE LIVING IN OBEDIENCE TO HIS COMMANDS.  Therefore we need to practice mind control and actually put the worries OUT OF OUR MINDS  (take no thought).  Take it to the Lord AND LEAVE IT THERE.  


Mat 6:31 - 34 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?  V32  (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.  V33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.  V34  Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

3.  YOU CAN GET PAST YOUR PAST.

Christ paid for it all, and it's all under the blood.  There is no need to look back, but to learn.

Psa 79:8 -9 O remember not against us former iniquities: let thy tender mercies speedily prevent us: for we are brought very low.  V9  Help us, O God of our salvation, for the glory of thy name: and deliver us, and purge away our sins, for thy name's sake.

You see, we have all probably found ourselves kicking ourselves because of things we could have done better in our financial decisions.  I know that I have sinned in my stewardship with covetousness, impulse purchases and unsecured debt decisions.  Yet, we can claim the promises that God gives us concerning His everlasting mercy and unending grace.  He will allow us to reap the consequences of our “sowing,” but HE WILL WALK WITH US THROUGH THE TRIALS.

I sing to myself, “No never alone. No never alone.  He promised never to leave me, never to leave me alone.”

He is not out to punish us.  He wants to guide us and teach us and He is our Friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

Therefore, if we accept His forgiveness and choose to move forward making better decisions (more Biblical decisions) while trusting in His provision as a present God; the great I AM (not the great I was, or the great I will be) than we can REST WITH PEACE in His promises.  He will help us through our consequences.

4.  AND WHOSO TRUSTETH THE LORD, HAPPY IS HE.


Once I realized that God was not punishing me, but helping me through my consequences I was able to reach out to Him without fear.  Knowing that He was my Friend brought me so much comfort. 

When I read, “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”   I had confidence that I could trust Him and serve Him and know that as I delighted in Him; He would give me the desires of my heart.

Now, trusting His time frame versus my time frame took a little bit more work on my part.  Still, little bit by little bit I surrendered my fears of “Where we would get the money?” and “When we would get the money?” and “When we would get out of debt?” and “Will God let us lose everything?”

Trusting in the LORD with all my heart changed my thoughts instead to: “Take no thought for the morrow…”  “Sufficient unto the day…”  “Thou shalt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee…”  “Thou art my Rock and my Fortress, for thy name’s sake, lead me and guide me…” 

Php 4:5 - 7  Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.  V6  Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  V7  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Every single section of those verses became important to me.  I rehearsed them in my thoughts.  I knew that I needed to have temperance and moderation.  I knew that I needed to be “careful for nothing” meaning that I needed to leave it with the Lord as I knelt to Him in prayer WITH THANKSGIVING.  I knew that as I trusted in His faithfulness to me, my heart became at ease in fellowship with His sweet companionship and my mind became free to fulfill my duties as a wife, mother and soul winner.

The end result was that I was happy with doing a good job at my job as a homemaker and Christian and that my relationship with God grew deeper and deeper.  “Whoso trusteth the Lord, happy is he.”

2Sa 22:31  As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.

Psa 2:11-12  Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.  V12  Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Psa 5:11-12  But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.  V12  For thou, LORD, wilt bless the righteous; with favour wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

Psa 17:7  Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.

Psa 34:8  O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Psa 40:4  Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

Psa 56:4  In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.

Psa 56:11  In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.

Psa 62:8  Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

Psa 62:10  Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.

Psa 84:11 -12  For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. V12  O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.

Pro 16:20  He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.

Jer 17:5  Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.  Jer 17:7  Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.


5.  GOD’S REPTUTATION IS GOOD FOR A REASON.  HE IS FAITHFUL.

Even the world knows ...
God is worthy.  God is worthy of all honour and glory and majesty REGARDLESS of what He does for us.  Yet, we can see from God’s word that He cares about His reputation to the world.  I desire to please the Lord, and I desire to be a good steward.  I desire to follow the Lord through my husband’s leadership in how we earn money and spend money.  I desire to bring glory to His name concerning His faithfulness and goodness and provision to His children.  Yet, IF I PLACE ALL MY TRUST IN HIS LEADING AND FIND MYSELF A BEGGAR, REPROACH COMES UPON HIS NAME.

This is why Moses was able to call upon God’s reputation, and God repented of the evil and wrath He had toward the Israelites.

Exo 32:10 - 12  Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.   V11  And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth thy wrath wax hot against thy people, which thou hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?  V12  Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did he bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from thy fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against thy people.

I sing a song, “Did I mention that I love Him, how I worship and adore Him.  WHEN I CAN’T SEE A WAY HE MAKES A WAY.  And did I mention HE’S BEEN FAITHFUL TO EVERY PROMISE HE EVER MADE ME.  I love Him; that’s all I want to say.”

My girls and I belt out that line, “And did I mention He’s been faithful to every promise He ever made me.”  He’s faithful because He’s good.  He’s merciful because He’s good.  He’s gracious because He’s good.  Even when He would be justified in letting us fail, He helps us because He is faithful and because we are His children

Would a just King let his children who abide in His house and fellowship at His table leave hungry and go out the door to the world to find their food?  NO!  Why?  First; because He is just, and secondly because it would bring shame upon His name and kingdom.  Live for His name’s sake and pray in the light of His name’s sake.  God cares about His reputation.

Psa 31:1  To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.

Psa 71:1  In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.

Psa 73:28  But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.

Here is a man after God’s own heart entreating the LORD to not cause his trust in the LORD to become a mockery.  He wanted to praise the LORD for all of His works.  The Lord’s glory should be our motivation in stewardship.  (We are the salt of the earth)  God will always prove to be faithful.

Yet, as a side note: don’t live like the world and expect God’s blessings.  If a Christian is already bringing shame to His name by picking and choosing what part of the Bible to live by, there is nothing gained by blessing and protecting them.

6.  GOD WILL SHOW YOU A WAY


Psa 143:8  Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

Pro 3:5 - 6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  V6  In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Psa 31:3  For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.

Have I said these verses enough?  They need to be written upon our hearts.  God will guide you.  It may not be the path you desire AT FIRST.  If you have found yourself in over your heads in debt, the Lord may give your husband three jobs to balance with church and family.  You may find that you may need to apply for government assistance.  You may find that you need to accept charity from friends and family.  You may find yourself in line at the food bank.  You may find yourself moving in with your parents.  You may find yourself eating the same type of food day after day.  You may find that your plans for your life will not be fulfilled for years until you dig yourself out of the hole you have dug. 

Still God can help you move forward in a way that keeps your stewardship in tact.  I believe with every ounce within me that if we:

1. Humble ourselves and pray
2. Repent and change our spending habits
3. Make ourselves willing to work where God would have us to work.
4. Keep church and devotions a priority ABOVE “the job” and “money tree;” (Seek ye first the kingdom of God)
5. Remember that we are working hard for our family; therefore we should not forget to spend time with them.
6.  Determine to be honorable in paying our bills for the sake of our stewardship before God (A wicked man borroweth and payeth not again)

… than God will make it possible.  He doesn’t make it easy or quick, but POSSIBLE.  He will lead us, AND TEACH US.  Ultimately we will be better for it, and His name will be glorified.

Yet, how can He direct our paths if we do not make time to pray and hear His voice?  This leads me to the next section:  PEACE STEALERS.

No comments: