Importunate Prayer

Importunate Prayer
Faith Results in the Blessing of the Believer
Article by: Dr. Kevin Folger
Senior Pastor of Cleveland Baptist Church

Without a doubt, one of the greatest blessings of being a born again, child of God is the fact that we have the right to approach the throne room of Heaven with our prayer requests. I am glad there is a God in Heaven who is not too busy to help me with my needs. Too often, though, we do not avail ourselves to the privilege of prayer as we ought; it is easier to worry about our problems and talk to other human beings than to take our needs to the Lord in prayer. Maybe that is because prayer is an exercise of faith.

We cannot see God or see Him work, so we hesitate to pray. We need to learn the discipline of prayer and avail ourselves to the opportunity of fellowship with God. One reason God allows us to face problems is so we can learn to bring our needs and troubles to Him for His touch to fix them.

I have learned that prayer is essential in my life. I have seen God do many wonderful things in direct response to my prayers. Recently, I was facing some trouble and realized that I needed to take definite steps to confront the problem; however, before I responded physically, I needed God to work in the situation. I found myself on my face before Him pleading for His intervention and help. He heard and He did that which only He could do. It was such a blessing, and it was also humbling to watch as God responded to my need.

Luke 18:1 says, “And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray and not to faint.” This parable dealt with a widow who went to see a judge about getting help with a problem she was facing. Her adversary was making her life miserable. We are not told what she was dealing with, but whatever it was necessitated her going to the court of law to get help. The indication is that this judge was not very sympathetic at first; he really was not at all concerned about the problem or doing much to help with the need. This woman, however, was not about to quit asking. I get the impression that every day, when this judge showed up at his place of business, this woman was the first one in line asking for his help. She was obviously not going anywhere until she got what she was after.

Finally, the judge realized that he might as well do what she asked or he was not going to get any rest. He dealt with her problem and the application is clear in verses 6-8, “And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith. And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?”

The central truth of this parable is that God will help His people, and He does it in direct response to their willingness to pray. God may not answer your prayer immediately. Sometimes it may be a long time in praying. You must keep coming to Him. But mark it down; if the need is legitimate and your heart is burdened, God is at work as you pray. Sooner or later, God will answer that prayer so that you know it is He who has done it.

We live in troublesome times as believers. We are seeing things happening on a daily basis that can be quite disheartening. God is not detached or uninterested. He is not removed or distant—He is waiting for us, as His people, to speak to Him about what is going on. When was the last time you really got alone with God and just pleaded with Him about things that are happening in your life and in your world? Are you fearful about the future? Pray! Are you concerned about a relationship? Pray! Do you have financial needs that are overwhelming? Seek Him! Is there a health concern in your life today? He is there to help.

I often find myself in situations that are above my head. I am always challenged by the needs of my vast congregation and the money that is necessary to do all that must be done. I know my own limitations and how little I can personally do, but it is grand to know that God, the great God that made the universe, the God that hung each star in place and flung the galaxies into outer space is available to help me!

God told the prophet Jeremiah in Jeremiah 33:3, “Call unto me and I will answer thee and shew thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not.” The calling here is prayer and the certainty of the promise is found in God, the One that made the promise. He is the One that cannot lie. I challenge you to claim the promise for yourself and watch what God can and will do!

2 comments:

JTR said...

Very true. This article was a blessing to me (from Ministry 127) and I wanted to share it. Recently we have had a prayer request that we have prayed much and with many tear over for the past 15 or 16 months...with seemingly no reply. At times my faith has buckled over this request which was tied up in the way the Lord was leading my husband...it seemed like this MUST be answered! A few days ago, it was really like a light turned on, and I saw for the first time my own fault in the issue, and asked forgiveness for my part. Why had I not seen this before? I had spent many hours in prayer, worry, and focused attention on the problem. Not a week later, the prayer was miraculously answered in the best possible way, confirming God's leading in our lives. Steps that had led to the prayers answer were taken, unbeknowns to me, weeks before my "eureka moment". Would the answer still have come if I had not found my fault and repented? We will not know until we reach heave, but I have a feeling it would not have been granted! Keep praying.

Sheila Deeth said...

Lovely article for starting the new year. Prayers and dreams aren't the same thing. But God answers prayers with more than we can dream, if we wait to see.